1005 Prince Frederick Blvd, Ste 101, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
3140 W Ward Road, Ste 207, Dunkirk, MD 20754-3047
Prince Frederick

Frequently Asked Questions

Bhargesh Mehta, M.D., P.A. invites you to review some frequently asked questions about his specialized medical care facility. The answers you find here will help provide you with better medical services.

How do I reach the doctor after office hours?

If you have a life-threatening emergency, call 911. For other concerns, you can reach our physicians by contacting the answering service at (410) 535-8202.

How do I get a referral?

Referrals to other physicians or diagnostic facilities can take up to 72 hours for our office to process. Referrals will not be done after hours or on weekends. You are required to notify us at least 72 hours in advance of an appointment requiring a referral. Failure to do so may result in your referral being denied by your insurance company and therefore making you responsible for any and all charges incurred at the specialists office

Which insurance companies do you accept?

We accept most insurances, but it is a good idea to call and check to make sure we accept your insurance.

Do you accept walk-ins?

Yes! We accept sick patient walk-ins. We prefer that you call our office first, so that we may serve you better. Walk-in patients may have a slightly longer waiting time.

Do you have a separate sick and well patient waiting area?

Yes! Both of our pediatric offices have separate sick and well patient waiting areas. We try our best to minimize the spread of infection while you are in our office.

When should I call to make an appointment?

Please call for appointments as early as possible. If you are unable to make it to a well-visit appointment, please notify us at least 24 hours in advance. If you are unable to make it to a sick-visit appointment, please notify us 1 hour in advance. This will provide the opportunity for another patient in need of care.

In which hospital do you admit patients?

All of our doctors have admitting privileges at Calvert Memorial Hospital.

Can my child be seen in both offices?

Yes! Both offices, if your child is sick. When it is time for their physical, we request that they are seen in the office they were established in.

What is the best way to request my medication refills?

Please call your pharmacy to send over a medication refill request to our office electronically. If the medication is a controlled drug substance than those need to be requested by calling our office. A script is written for those medications and can be picked up at the office you requested after 24 hours.